News and Reviews

Health: Two Week Candida Killing Diet

February 19 2013 at 20:33

Foods to Avoid to help Eliminate Candida

Note: this is recommended guidance not medical advice; please consult your GP if you are concerned about your health.
Everyone has Candida, and a significant proportion of us may have Candidiasis, or an overgrowth of Candida. Candida starts to cause trouble when there is some change in your body that allows it to overgrow.

This change could be anything from a few courses of antibiotics, a prolonged diet rich in carbohydrates and sugar, or even something as common as a lengthy period of stress at work.

Candida Albicans is an opportunistic fungus (or form of yeast) that is the cause of many undesirable symptoms ranging from fatigue and weight gain, to joint pain and abdominal bloating. More and more of our customers are looking for help, here is a gem of a solution…

FRUIT

Fresh Fruit, Dried Fruit, Canned Fruit, Fruit Juice

•    The high sugar content in fruit feeds Candida
•    Fruits like melon may also contain mould
•    A squeeze of lemon is OK
•    After you can reintroduce low sugar fruits like apples and berries

AGED CHEESE

Cheeses aged for 6 months or more

Notes

• Holistic practitioners recommend that Candida sufferers dramatically reduce their dairy intake
• Candida prevents the body from processing fat properly
• Only aged cheeses need to be eliminated completely
• A small amount of Swiss or Mozzarella cheese can be reintroduced later

ADDITIVES & PRESERVATIVES

Foods to Avoid
Citric Acid, Anything on the list of ingredients that you don’t know or can’t pronounce!

Notes

•    Citric acid is derived from yeasts
•    Chemicals can disrupt your friendly bacteria and allow the Candida yeast to flourish
•    Non-organic food like meat or eggs can contain residual levels of antibiotics and steroids that were used during the farming process.
•    Only eat  organic foods for the elimination period if possible.

ALCOHOL

Wine, Beer, Spirits

Notes

•    Alcohol is high in sugar that can feed the growth of the Candida yeast.
•    Alcohol also puts stress on your organs and immune system.
•    Mixing alcohol and Candida is like opening all your windows in a house fire – you don’t want to feed the problem

CAFFEINE / STIMULANTS

Coffee, Tea, Energy drinks

•    Caffeine, sugar and sweetener all kick-start Candida
•    Taurine in energy drinks is another culprit
•    Even decaf tea and coffee are to be avoided, as they contain residual levels of caffeine

GLUTINOUS FOODS

Foods to Avoid
Anything made with wheat, rye, oats or barley, e.g. white bread, rye bread, pasta, Spelt product

•    Some Candida sufferers have high sensitivity to Glutens
•    Give your immune system a break and allow it for a few weeks!

NUTS

Foods to Avoid
Nuts that are high in mould, e.g. peanuts

•    Ingesting mould can promote a Candida outbreak
•    Nuts that were cracked a long time ago, for example sliced almonds, also have time to develop mould
•    If you like nuts, stick to freshly cracked or whole ones.

MUSHROOMS / MOULDS

Mushrooms Truffles

Notes

•    Candida loves to feed on mould and fungi
•    Leftover food can contain mould that will feed your Candida
•    If you can’t buy organic fresh, keep leftovers frozen and then cook on a high heat in the oven (not the microwave)

CONDIMENTS

Ketchup, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Relish, Horseradish, Soy sauce, Salad dressings

•    Condiments tend to be high in sugar and can exacerbate your Candida
•    For an alternative salad dressing, try a simple organic olive oil and lemon juice dressing

SUGARS

Sugars, Honey, Syrup, Lactose, Sucrose, Fructose, Chocolate

•    Condiments tend to be high in sugar and can exacerbate your Candida
•    Stay away from the soft drinks too
•    Read food labels to make sure your food doesn’t contain sugar
•    Sweeteners can also make your Candida worse
•    Sugar-free diet coke can feed your Candida as much as a sugary soft drink

VINEGAR

All vinegars, except for  Organic Apple Cider Vinegar

Notes

•    Vinegar is made in a yeast culture, depletes the stomach of acids and can also cause inflammation in your gut
•    One particular vinegar, organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar, can actually be helpful in combating yeast

FATS AND OILS

Foods to Avoid
Peanut oil, Cottonseed oil, Corn oil, Canola oil, Soy oil, Margarine, Shortening

•    Peanut, Cottonseed, Corn and Canola oil are mould contaminated
•    Margarine/Shortening contain toxic trans fats

Candida Albicans is an opportunistic fungus (or form of yeast) that is the cause of many undesirable symptoms ranging from fatigue and weight gain, to joint pain and abdominal bloating.  This is part II of the blog; Foods to eat.

Foods to Eat

Organic Vegetables:

Asparagus, Avocado, Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery, Collard greens, Cucumber, Eggplant, Garlic (raw), Kale, Leeks, Okra, Onions, Peppers, Radish, Seaweed, Spaghetti squash, Spinach, Summer squash, Swiss chard, Tomatoes, Turnip, Zucchini.

Notes:
* Vegetables starve the Candida of the sugar and mould diet that feed it and they also absorb fungal poisons and carry them out of your body.
* Avoid starchy vegetables such as carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes, yams, corn, all squash except zucchini, beets, peas, parsnips and all beans except green beans
* You should buy your vegetables fresh and eat them raw, steam or grill them. Add a little garlic and onions for flavour as they are especially helpful with Candid.

Live Yogurt Cultures:

Organic Plain Yogurt Probiotics.

Notes:
* Live yogurt cultures (or probiotics) help your gut to repopulate itself with good bacteria
* The live bacteria in the yogurt will crowd out the Candida yeast and restore balance to your system
* Good bacteria will also produce antifungal enzymes that can help you fight Candida.

Proteins:

Beef, Chicken, Fish, Eggs

Notes:
* Proteins almost completely free of sugars and mould, so they fill you up while restricting the Candida
* Eat fresh and organic meat if possible – processed meat like lunch meat, bacon and spam, is loaded with dextrose nitrates, sulphates and sugars
* Smoked or vacuum packed meats are also best avoided

Nuts and Seeds:

Nuts and seeds that don’t contain high mould content.

Notes:
* Nuts are a high protein food that starves Candida and restricts its growth
* Avoid peanuts and pistachios as they tend to have higher mould content

Herbs and Spices:

Basil,  Black Pepper,  Cayenne,  Cilantro,  Cinnamon,  Cloves,  Cumin,  Curry, Dill,  Garlic,  Ginger,  Nutmeg,  Oregano,  Paprika,  Rosemary,  Tarragon,  Thyme,  Turmeric.

Notes:
* Contain antioxidants and anti-fungal properties
* Increase circulation and reduce inflammation
* Improve digestion and alleviate constipation

Organic Oils:

Virgin Coconut Oil,  Olive Oil,  Sesame Oil,  Pumpkin seed oil,  Macadamia Oil,  Almond Oil,  Flax Oil,  Safflower,  Sunflower,  Coconut oil,  Coconut butter,  Ghee,  Organic butter.

Notes:
* Use cold pressed organic oils
* Heating or boiling destroys many of the oils’ nutrients

Seasoning:

Black Pepper, Salt, Sea Salt, Lemon Juice.

Herbal Teas:

Cinnamon Tea,  Clove Tea,  Chamomile Tea,  Pau D’arco Tea,  Peppermint Tea,  Ginger Tea,  Liquorice Tea,  Lemongrass Tea,  Green Tea.

Notes:
* All of these herbal teas have antifungal properties
* If you’re missing your morning coffee, try Green Tea instead

Published with permission from, and special thanks to, www.thecandidadiet.com , an excellent resource for more information, please visit.

Posted by
Darren
Comments
Comments (44)

That was really informative….really liked the what you should eat list very helpfull

Marian Augustine said... on 19/02/2013 at 22:15

Thanks, this is a really useful post. Also, I love you shop, you always have kale even when the farmers markets don’t and your staff are lovely!

Denise said... on 20/02/2013 at 19:23

Excellent advice. As you’re reading through it looks like you can’t eat anything but as you read on you do see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Didn’t realise that Mozarella and Swiss are aged!!! :)

Siobhan McCarthy said... on 21/02/2013 at 23:57

Great read! Thanks guys!!

Gus kresa said... on 22/02/2013 at 21:31

This is great, there is so little advice out there on this, or so much but you need to pay to get it so thank you, the only thing that would make this better would be if ye offered ‘the candida box ‘ for the two weeks i would definitely buy it.

Annette said... on 19/04/2013 at 21:12

This is really helpful I have suffered with Candida for ova two years but the cravings seem to take ova however I’m starting today as I mean to go on and for the next two weeks I’m raw only x

jodieleigh southall said... on 15/07/2013 at 08:36

yes very informative. love it. need all the advice I can get. thanks

Sandy said... on 6/08/2013 at 17:05

Great Information – my only question is that on the “vegetables to eat” it says you can have spaghetti and summer squash but in the notes it says avoid all squash except zucchini.

Rachael said... on 29/10/2013 at 19:46

Thank you. Gonna give it a go. I was pretty much going to go vegan but so pleased I can eat meat!

Adrian Dalzell said... on 4/11/2013 at 21:57

So helpful,it worked.fanx

clarity said... on 10/11/2013 at 18:10

Doesn’t Green Tea have caffeine in it?

Kamron said... on 14/11/2013 at 14:26

Thank you for the information. I’ve been using Apple Cider Vinegar for years and find it very helpful in maintaining normal levels of yeast.

Catherine said... on 19/11/2013 at 12:19

Im 64 and I have crohns for 2 yrs now, I wanna try this, but I love bread…gonna be hard on me, not much to choose from on the good foods to eat.

Lanny said... on 28/11/2013 at 14:33

I want to go on this diet but i am vegiterian. Are there any other proteins that could work for vegiterians?

nandini said... on 5/12/2013 at 17:35

Very informative and helpfull page thanks

tee david said... on 14/01/2014 at 04:50

Im looking to start my Candida Diet so Im reading up all that I can Thank you all they inf…

Lawry said... on 19/01/2014 at 16:06

There are so many conflicting articles out there.
What about quinoa and tofu on a candida diet? Other than salmon, what type of fish?
I still suffer with this intestinal infection; it has been going on for way too many years and causes loud bowel noises (so embarrassing).
Thank you.

Timaree Normandin said... on 19/01/2014 at 17:23

Ive been doing this for almost a week though but I included raw pumpkin/sunflower/flax/chia seed. Its a mix in a container I bought at my organic market. There is nothing added to them, dry/raw. Is this OK? Thanks for the great site!

Betty said... on 23/01/2014 at 00:32

I have looked at this for a few days and am pretty comfortable about getting started, apart from breakfast. Any thoughts?

Jim McCleery said... on 23/01/2014 at 21:06

Hello nice website
Does apple cider feed candida some sites say it does some say it doesnt whats your view cheers

Josh Everts said... on 25/01/2014 at 12:45

Thank you for this information… so many contradictions on what you can or should and shouldn’t eat. One site says no fruit one says apples and grapes are ok. No dairy but yogurt is ok… no shrimp of shell fish but the provided cook books have shrimp and other shell fish recipes in them… how can you tell what’s right and wrong?

Marci Huebert said... on 30/01/2014 at 23:47

I’ve heard conflicting opinions on Candida Albicans drinking Kefir to help them get rid of the fungus.
What is the truth ?

S.M. said... on 4/02/2014 at 06:05

Lots of greens are a must while on the cleanse. Chlorophyll breaks down candida.

Jo said... on 6/02/2014 at 21:17

all very good and well, but what do you do if you are diary intolerant and vegertarian?

sammy Leslie said... on 8/02/2014 at 10:30

A lot of helpful information. Thank you very much!

Tina Turner said... on 9/02/2014 at 22:01

I think this is a great information, I wish you find a way to tell everyone in the world this things .If it is ok with you guys I would like to post this on fb. Thank you.

Tsigereda A. Guyassa said... on 11/02/2014 at 21:10

where to buy cheap organic food pls

sheila said... on 15/02/2014 at 13:23

Great list – only comment on the veggies part, it lists several squashes that are ok to eat but the notes say not to eat any squash except zucchini. Could you update the list to make it more clear what squash is ok?

Nic said... on 17/02/2014 at 00:26

Garlic is great for reducing the harmful effects of toxins. Toxin build up destroys ones health!! To reduce toxins in the body make garlic tea. Boil water, add two cloves and let cool then drink. you can also soak your feet in garlic and thyme great for soothing one’s feet after a long work day. Enjoy !!!

Still standing said... on 17/02/2014 at 19:48

Garlic is great for removing excess toxins in the body. Simply make garlic tea to reduce toxin build up! Boil water, add two cloves or more then enjoy your tea of life. Garlic kills yeast and bacteria. You can also soak your tired feet in garlic to reduce the stress of a long work day. Boil water, pour in a contanier add garlic.and soak your feet. Enjoy life better with garic and thyme.

Still standing said... on 17/02/2014 at 19:53

I’m really previlage to locaate this page. It has really help me a lot.

Nora Gbena said... on 25/02/2014 at 07:18

This is great info, I was searching how to starve out candida and I found this!

Thanks so much!

Malissa Perez said... on 26/02/2014 at 06:30

This is sooooooo awesome, the doctors couldn’t even tell me what was wrong with me and this diet just fixed me up just right. Thanks So Much. You are just so awesome.!

Vivien Ashoff said... on 1/03/2014 at 16:36

If you are wondering whether a food item is good for this diet, just find out whether the item is starchy, high in sugar or mold, or contains any kind of wheat product. If they do, they are not suitable for this diet. At least for the first “stage” of the diet. After a while, you can slowly add things like fruit and beans back in.

Also, don’t forget that eggs ARE ok to eat! When I first tried the diet, I ate boiled eggs and sliced raw veggies for breakfast.

Najaya said... on 4/03/2014 at 03:13

Are the following ok?

Brown rice
Vitamins
Grape seed oil
Grapefruit
Jicama

Thanks,
Ivan

Ivan said... on 22/03/2014 at 05:37

I was so glad to find this web page because now I don’t have to individually investigate each food in question like I was doing. It is already done for me:) Thanks!

Mel Morrison said... on 26/03/2014 at 17:44

Caprylic Acid, which is derived from coconut oil will speed recovery time considerably. Now Foods offers a good product and you can get it on Amazon. It “punches” holes in Candida. But you can have absolutely NO alcohol or excess sugar, as you will not have candida to eat it and your pancreas will start to produce insulin to compensate. Raw garlic “punches” holes too. Sometimes the first couple days of Caprylic can give you the need to use the toilet often, so start it on your day off ;)

Aric said... on 11/04/2014 at 02:57

Take a probiotic of 25 million or more in tandem with Caprylic Acid

Aric said... on 11/04/2014 at 03:00

am on candidgone its my 3rd day now,I can see some slight improvement ,did anybody use this guys

ahmed said... on 15/04/2014 at 20:19

Great information! In 1984 was in hospital on and off for a year and came out of it with a chronic yeast infection that got into my organs. Doctors could not help with all their drugs and finally I took a year off, basically because I could not work due to symptoms, and studied how to cure me. I came up with a supplemental and an easy to follow diet, basically an avoid diet, – It worked and through the years when I feel it coming back I do the cleansing period again. In 2005 I rescued a very sick puppy, she had what the call Dermadex (red mite infestation), after researching how to save her it became evident that one of the bottom line of this illness was yeast overgrowth. I successfully healed her through diet and a skin care regime. My vet was shocked and so were many other people – puppies do not usually make it with this diagnose and the extremely expensive treatment by the Veterinarian Society is extremely painful and there is a 50 -50 change you will loose the puppy due to the heavy chemicals that are used to eradicate the parasites. I would be happy to share my knowledge. Been studying Herbology and Natural Healing through food and supplements for over thirty years.
Kind Regards, Cherilynn La Fleur. PS thanks for the great info!
LaFleurJardin@comcast.net

Cherilynn La Fleur said... on 18/04/2014 at 16:55

Hi
Thanks so much for all information,gonna help me a lot on my diet. I am really weird about my healthy food ,trying chance my habits.
Thanks again
God bless every one
Luz

Luz said... on 26/04/2014 at 07:30

Ollive leaf extract also helps, as well as apudarco, and oregano oil.

Someone said... on 1/06/2014 at 21:00

I recommend to look around online about all your food options I feel like there all a lot of good rules to apply to this diet but the main idea is to avoid sugars. I feel depending on how strongly your infected really determines how restricted your diet should be. I cannot live with coffee, so I read that chicory coffee is okay so I drink that instead of my regular roast. I really loved fruits so I limited to one serving and it’s usually dried cranberries in my gluten free granola. I feel better going GF and I am a vegetarian I have been before having issues with this. I do miss alcoholic beverages. I hope I can drink again some day, maybe try one drink if I can get my system in check again. The hardest part is dealing with thrust or BV.. It’s really all about balancing bad and good bacteria. I love apple cider and yogurt and probotics to clear up infections. I also use garlic supplements and folic acid. I drink some dairy still only almond milk and evaporated milk in my coffee. Do what works best for you and try not to go back to old habits of sugary junk foods and carbs. Eat more vegetables and gluten free foods for carb cravings and if you still love to eat meats like the post says organics is the best way to go, farm fresh is the healthier choice. Everything in moderation ;) Good luck all!!

Sally said... on 7/06/2014 at 18:32

hi i love your site i think its awsomeeeee, just a question though is porridge ok, organic porridge.

sylvia said... on 25/06/2014 at 21:43