Apple Cider Vinegar! How do you take it? Most of you have probably heard about this extraordinary super substance. If not – have no fear! We have a little summary right here.
Chances are the first tip you will receive about taking apple cider vinegar (or ACV) is that it has to contain the ‘mother’. The ‘mother’ is the thicker brown cloudy substance which you can see resting at the base of an ACV bottle. ACV is produced by crushing fresh apples and letting them ferment naturally in barrels. The ‘mother’ is present when the ACV is raw, unfiltered, untreated and abundant in all its natural goodness.
Apple Cider What?
Although ACV is a fermented product those suffering candida and related problems need not turn away – in fact you should be excited! ACV is one of the most powerful antifungal and antibacterial substances in nature. ACV and wholesome variations have been revered in medicine since ancient times Even Hippocrates, the father of medicine prescribed ACV for numerous ailments. Christopher Columbas stored barells of the stuff when he set sail in 1492 as it was known to combat scurvy.
One may wonder why everyone on the planet is not still downing the stuff daily. Down the years vinegar manufacturers have simply found quicker and easier methods of producing vast quantities of a visually cleaner product which tastes of vinegar and looks appealing on a shop shelf.
The best thing about ACV is that everyone can benefit infinitely from just a mere tablespoon of the stuff on a daily basis. It would be faster to list off what conditions ACV does not benefit since it is very few. So here are just some of the conditions which are considered to be prevented, remedied and/or soothed by ACV :
• Premature aging (and its symptoms)
• Digestive problems
• Acid reflux
• Sore throats (nice mixed with a sup of honey)
• Kidney & bladder ailments (including UTIs)
• High blood pressure
• Arthritis & joint pain
• Certain lymph problems
• Mucus buildups and stuffy noses
• Excess weight
• Dandruff (combine a couple spoons of ACV with water and leave on hair for 15 minutes)
• Hiccups (maybe not a major problem but a teaspoon of ACV will sort those out in a jiffy!)
When ACV is taken as part of a healthy lifestyle a few of the benefits include overall improved health and vitality, perfect bowl movements (don’t blush – it’s a good thing!), clear skin, a more alkalised body, good blood consistency, regular menstruation (for the ladies) and a nice snappy metabolism.
This is a very brief account on the wonders of ACV. Still, we have to wonder what it is that makes this vinegar so darn magical. The rejuvenating properties of ACV can be put down to:
1. Potassium – Apples contain a generous helping of this. Deficiency is surprisingly widespread and it’s symptoms include lethargy, irritability, lackluster hair, increased aging and general fatigue. Potassium can be considered the elixer of youth. Potassium flushes out the arteries, clogged with toxins and cholesterol.
2. Pectin – A soluble fiber which promotes happy heart health
3. Malic Acid – The reason for its antifungal powers
4. Amino Acids – Give us some protein!
5. An abundance of vitamins & minerals
Down the hatch
The simplest method of taking your ACV is to simply swig a tablespoon of the stuff . Of course there are countless ways of incorporating ACV in your diet y adding it to juices or smoothies, using it as a condiment (scrumptious on oven-baked sweet potato fries by the way!), a salad dressing or just dashing a bit on whatever you fancy. We mentioned earlier that ACV is great for digestion. Take a fraction of a teaspoon before a meal to digest with ease. Have you caught a cold? Mix some in with a warm honey and lemon tonic to fight it off.
So there you have it! It may be wonderful but don’t go downing a whole bottle at once!
We stock the Biona, Braggs and Dynamic Health brands. Give them a whirl and pick your favourite. They are available both in-store and in our online shop.
Hurray we should also mention we’ve knocked 20% off our 946ml Braggs apple cider vinegar.
- Posted by